Thursday 21 February 2013

So I had the final walk through of the house before possession date next week with the contractor and trades people yesterday.  Hoping to nail down our game plan and be ready to start ASAP, we had some decisions to make and some issues to investigate.  Of course in buying an older home, built in 1924, you always have to prepare yourself for the unexpected.  I knew that there would be some electrical that would need to be updated, but the amount of knob and tube wiring that was discovered.....well, wasn't expecting that!!! Never the less, part of the process of making a house into a beautiful home is ensuring that the infrastructure of the house is secure so there is no compromise there.  Every penny spent on this house will be well worth it! 

Therefore, in order to make myself feel better about this electrical nightmare, I went fixture shopping, of course! Hey, they have to be replaced anyway so I might as well have fun in the process....but on a very strict budget now.  Where did I go.....Ikea of course!!

For my daughters' room.....


Totally her style....looks like a giant pom pom....a big ball of marshmallow fun!  That is my daughter to a tee and she is going to be thrilled.  A drastic departure from my taste of a traditional crystal chandelier!  It will take a while to attach all of those pretty little flowers onto metal skewers to then further attach to the base of the fixture,  but that will be her project!

And then for the foyer and my bedroom.....


Isn't that a pretty little chandelier?  I was so pleased to find this as it cost a fraction of what I was expecting to pay for something similar at one of my favourite lighting stores.  So not only will my new house be fully electrically updated, but it will also adorned with some pretty fabulous fixtures!  
A good days work I would say! 



No comments:

Post a Comment