Thursday 7 February 2013





Being a prairie girl at heart, I am instinctively drawn to anything related to "prairie style".  Not too long ago, I stumbled across this book title on amazon and immediately ordered it.  I completely devoured every page of this beautiful book as soon as I received it.  As I was still living in the GTA at the time, I so appreciated how the author captured the wonder of simple pleasures and comfort with the natural beauty of the earth.  

Interestingly enough, the author, Fifi O'Neill grew up in Paris, France.  However, she lived in Manitoba for 15 years where she says that she first fell in love with the area's vast and beautiful prairies.  The comfort, simplicity and harmony with the earth became the foundation for her own style, Prairie Style.
It's all about the enduring connection between people and places and the nostalgia felt for a rural country life.  As reflected in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie, it is a yearning for a simpler life.

Much to my delight, while perusing amazon once again, I discovered that Fifi now has a cookbook!




Of course I ordered it immediately and am anxiously awaiting its arrival!  I am certain it will be quite familiar to the way my pioneer grandparents regarded and prepared food,  with economy and grace.  To a certain extent,  my parents still live this way by continuing to plant a garden every year and using their own homegrown ingredients taken directly from their land to prepare healthy and satisfying meals.  Now that I am back on the prairie, I am already feeling inspired and ready to...garden and harvest, bake and preserve.....because that is the true reflection of the prairie way of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment