Tuesday 9 April 2013

I hosted my first dinner party in the house last sunday evening......roast chicken with lemon and garlic, buttermilk and chive mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and caprese salad.  Thankfully, it was a success!  Roast chicken has become a sunday night tradition for us.....something that we can always count on and look forward to.  I usually roast 2 chickens now as I use the leftovers for meals throughout the following week. 





One of my favourite books with respect to food is by Tamar Adler, entitled "The Everlasting Meal".  It is a beautiful explanation on the respectful approach to food with economy and grace.  I am not sure that I could ever buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts again....I need to buy the entire chicken and use all parts of it....after all, it gave its' life for our consumption, shouldn't we show it respect by using all of its parts?  Just something to think about.

So tonights dinner is chicken pot pie, made from the left over chicken and with home made chicken stock which was made from the leftover bones.   From the left over mashed potatoes I am making a sheperds pie for a future meal.  I just love Tamar's approach to cooking....creating meals from meals.  A respectful way in which to approach food....and it is economical and can be done with grace.

Here is a link to her book: 
http://www.amazon.ca/An-Everlasting-Meal-Cooking-Economy/dp/143918187X


Perhaps you will be inspired to think about the meals you create for your family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment