Wednesday 5 February 2014



Brrrrrr…..the prairies have now been experiencing deep freeze temperatures for several weeks.  Yes, we are sturdy stock, never the less, it can be challenging to keep ones' wits about them whilst dealing with temperatures below -30 C on a regular basis.  It can become difficult to motivate yourself to actually leave the house when it means that any exposed part of your body could be frost bitten in a matter of seconds.  Those prairie winds can be wicked.  


On evenings such as this one, we like to enjoy what we call a "cozy in night".  I will light a fire in the living room fireplace and it is there that we will gather for the evening.  We will have "dinner theatre", talk about the day, the kids will do their homework, read and just enjoy being with one another. Nothing like a fire to bring people together.  






Warm comfort food….the other important and special part of a "cozy in" night.  Being a product of my grandmother, I cannot allow any food to go to waste.  I had some leftover cooked chicken from a meal earlier in the week and what better way to put it to use than into a chicken pot pie.  This bitter cold weather has been taking its toll on my boys who are now fighting fevers, coughs and cold.  Homemade chicken pot pies enjoyed fireside while curled up under a warm blanket.  





As a variation, I made individual pies this evening and they were a hit. I found these cute little ramekins at my local dollarama……2 for $1.25…..how can you go wrong!! And, I have now also added to my white dish collection.  




No comments:

Post a Comment